Saturday, December 31, 2011

Lauren..The Handy "Man"

I want to preface this blog with this explaination for those of you who don't know me as well as others..I don't consider myself a particularly "handy" girl, but I'm certainly not helpless. In my family, when something(like chairs, a table, etc.) needs to be put together, I'm the one that gets called. I put together all the furniture for my cousin's nursery. I also put together my aunt's table and chairs plus countless other things. However, anything electrical I leave for Ryan.

For Christmas, Ryan bought "me" some chairs for our kitchen table. We've been using wooden fold out chairs. They're better than the metal ones and they actually look nice, but they're still, after all, folding chairs. When we got our table, the seating made to match it were benches and it's just wasn't a practical choice for us.  We decided to find some other seating that would look nice.  That was 3 years ago.  Anyway, I decided that that's what I wanted for Christmas and started looking online and in stores.  I found a set of 4 chairs on Overstock for $134 with no shipping.  By far the best deal I could find. I ordered them on the 28th and they were on my porch by 10 AM yesterday(30th)!  I got the 65lb box in the house and set it down. When I opened it up I immediately realized that this was not going to be a one person job between putting the chairs together and keeping Hannah happy, fed and occupied. My Mom came over and we got to work. An HOUR later, we had one chair finished. ONE. It was absolutely miserable. I won't bore you with a play-by-play, but 3 hours later, all four chairs were done and in their place at the table. At about the 2-hour mark, I was convincing myself that we didn't need the chairs and we'd just get by standing at the table.

So, after I got the chairs finished, I fed Hannah and pulled out the programmable thermostat that Ryan got for Christmas.  We needed this desperately.  Ryan's always pretty tired when he gets home, so I thought I'd install it and surprise him.  I mean, after putting together the chairs, how hard could it really be? I get it installed without a problem at all. I was really impressed with myself. I got everything wired up and set up. When Ryan got home, and told and showed Ryan what I'd done, but asked him to open it back up and make sure I wired everything correctly. It had been 75 degrees in our house since I set it up so I figured I'd done something wrong. Apparently, I didn't tighten the wires down so it wasn't really doing anything for us.(I didn't know this was a necessary step) Ryan got everyting tightened and a got a pat on the back and a "Good job".  A few hours later, the house still wasn't getting cooled down.  I bumped the temp down a few degrees trying to jump start it and went to bed. Fast forward to me, laying miserably hot in bed at 3 AM. The heat woke me up. I got up and went step-by-step reprogramming the thermostat. Finally, an hour later the house was slowly cooling off and I know way more about our thermostat than I really need to. And still wide awake..at 4:45 AM


And so ends the tale of my day as a handy "man". A hat I hope I don't have to put back on for a while...

No comments:

Post a Comment